How Can I Modify My Child Custody Agreement?

Changing Your Child Custody Agreement

Though a child custody arrangement is well-thought-out while going through the divorce process, the set up may not always work for both you and your ex-spouse forever. If life changes have caused the need to shift your schedule or planned-time spent with your child, learn how our team of family law attorneys at Family Law Solutions of Iowa can help.

Valid Reasons for a Custody Modification

As mentioned — child custody agreements are thoroughly discussed during your divorce process and are not meant to be modified. Under Iowa state law, the custody arrangement that was awarded to you and your co-parent should stand to be in the best interest of you and your child.

A substantial life change, such as the following, are the only exceptions that are seen as valid in Iowa child custody modifications:

  • A long-distance move.
  • A loss of housing.
  • A parent is sent overseas for military duty.
  • A parent is arrested and sentenced to serve time in prison.
  • A parent is proven to be abusive to their child.
  • A change in a parent's ability to care for the child full-time or part-time.
  • A long-term change to one of the parent's work schedules.
  • A change in the child’s needs in relation to their health or age.

If mediation for your situation is not possible, the court may grant you a change in your agreement under these circumstances. However, you may need to bring the following examples to prove a significant change in you or your child’s situation:

  • A report of actual parenting time versus scheduled parenting time.
  • A report of problems that have occurred during custody.
  • A record of any police incidents enforcing your custody order.
  • Documentation of a change in work or location.
  • Testimonies from your child’s doctor, teacher, or other witnesses.
  • Records of medical, school, and criminal importance.
  • Other unofficial examples, including social media posts and texts.

Any modifications will be considered according to what the Iowa family court feels is the best arrangement for the child.

Child Custody Modification Help in Des Moines

If you’ve decided that you and your spouse need to modify your child custody agreement, you can count on our team of expert family law attorneys at Family Law Solutions of Iowa to help.

Our team can help you modify the existing child custody order, demonstrate that the required child support payments are unfairly high, and more. Regardless of how complicated your situation may be, we have the experience required to help you resolve it.

Contact our team today for assistance. (515) 305-3474.

Related Posts
  • The Impact of Addiction on Child Custody Cases Read More
  • Avoiding Common Pitfalls in Iowa Child Support Negotiations Read More
  • Why Modify Custody Orders? Read More

In-house financing options available

  • Guaranteed Flat Fee Rates
  • Financing Options Available
  • Open Line of Communication to Staff and Your Lawyers
  • Specific & Detailed Scope of Work Defined
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy